Wednesday, December 31, 2008

More Christmas Music Inspiration

As you know, I just spent nearly 20 hours in the car listening to Christmas music - so over my next few posts I want to share some of my favorites with you.

A few years ago my sister-in-law gave me a copy of Home Alone Christmas. I wondered what the heck she was thinking!

My copy is a burned copy - so I'm not sure if it is the movie soundtrack - or a compelation of Christmas songs from the various movies... but surprise - it's really pretty good.

Sometimes I really appreciate CDs with a variety of music rather than all one artist - and this one has a nice variety.

1. All Alone on Christmas - Darlene Love
2. A Holly Jolly Christmas - Alan Jackson
3. My Christmas Tree - The Fox Albert Choir
4. Somewhere in My Memory - John Williams
5. Silver Bells - Atlantic Starr
6. Sleigh Ride - TLC
7. Christmas All Over Again - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
8. Please Come Home For Christmas - Southside Johnny Lyon
9. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas - John Williams
10. Carol of the Bells - John Williams
11. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Mel Torme
12. O Come All Ye Faithful - Lisa Fischer
Click here to hear clips.

All Alone on Christmas - Hi. Can you say Single Person's Christmas Anthem? It's a peppy sing-along that helps to pass the miles.
My Christmas Tree is so sweet. It's a choir of beautiful children's voices. I sing along with this one too. "When I see, my Christmas tree, can loved ones be far? Christmas tree, I'm certain, wherever I roam, the glow from, your branches, will light my way home" Oh! My lip quivers every time!
Somewhere in My Memory - I think it's the theme to the movie, strains of the instrumental float throughout the movie. Strings, orchestra style it's very nice.
Silver Bells - this is a very well-done version of the standard. Sing-along-able.
Sleigh Ride - Not my favorite but not offensive.
Christmas All Over Again - I love Tom Petty, so this is a good song. But the words hit me funny this time around. It's sort of a song about how it's just Christmas. Again. It's not about the joy of Christmas, and certainly not about the meaning of Christmas.

The rest of the songs sort of fade into the background. They're all good.
This is the sort of CD that is great to have as background music at a party. Or while wrapping presents. Or killing time in the car.

It's definately a go-to CD for me. Some songs I would pick off to make a CD of my favorite Christmas songs. Maybe I'll actually get around to it for next Christmas, if I do, I'll let you all know.

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

Martina McBride does a killer version of O Holy Night! I actually love her whole Christmas CD, I would recommend it to anyone.

Happy New Year!

Stacey said...

I have this CD too and I enjoy it every year. My favorite Christmas albums are from Elvis and Harry Connick Jr, but I like a good compilation too - it mixes things up a bit!

background