Sunday, April 05, 2009

Done Right

The first year I lived in Colorado, I experienced the biggest snow storm of the century. In all, 3-4 feet of snow.

This was also the first year that I wasn't working in TV news, so on the first day of the storm, I dug my car out of a foot of snow and went to work. No one was there. Apparently, when you don't work in news - you stay home in a foot of snow. In news - you get your sorry butt to the station! and tell the city that it's too dangerous to be out.

Most of the city was snowed in for 2-3 days. Some of the suburbs were stuck longer because they were outside of the city snow removal plan.

When one of my co-workers came back after digging out for 5 days - she complained about cabin fever. Oh it was just awful, they were trapped in their house for 5 days!

My ponderings:
"You were trapped with your husband."
Yes.
"The man with whom you are trying to have a baby?
Yes.
"And you were bored."
Yeah, it was awful.
"Uh, speaking as a single woman - you're doing it wrong!"

She didn't appreciate my perspective in the slightest!

Present day:
I had a date with the new guy on Friday night. It went very well. We talked about my driving to his town on Sunday to visit. It was, after three dates - my turn on the interstate.

Forecasters had predicted a nasty storm Friday night - but it didn't hit. They blamed a sneaky front and said it was coming Saturday afternoon instead.

Here is where the story gets a little unbelievable. He called me Saturday morning with the suggestion that I come down early and get snowed in with him.
(stunned shock)
When a man conjures up such a romantic thought - my tendency is to jump in and see how it plays out!
(Disclaimer: He has a "mother-in-law" apartment connected to his house - so I knew I would sleep there and remain chaste!)

So I drove down, let him make me dinner and start a fire in the fireplace. We snuggled on the couch all night, talking, ahem -kissing and watching the snow fall. I don't think I've ever experienced such a romantic setting! Pinch me.

I slept in the apartment and awoke to morning light bouncing off the snow and streaming into the windows. Outside, was a glorious scene of fresh snow circling all the looming Poderosa Pine trees on his property -nothing else in sight- their spiky shadows cast about in shades of grey on the fluffy, undisturbed snow. Gorgeous!

And that - ladies and gentlemen - is how to properly get snowed in.
Results may vary if you are blessed with the Sacrament of Marriage - wink wink.

10 comments:

Katie said...

I can't imagine getting bored of being snowed in with the ear doctor.


During the "blizzard of '06" we were snowed in together and it was a BLAST! We weren't married yet, so we didn't take FULL advantage of the snow, but it was still some of the best couple of days we've ever had together.

TRS said...

That's what I'm talking about!
Good job Katie.

BlueCastle said...

If you can get snowed in with a man and still have a good time (without the added "fun" that marriage brings) then I say you may have found a keeper.

Stacey said...

Well I've gotta say, I love this post! That is positively the most romantic thing I've heard in a while. Nice! :)

auntie said...

sounds like an awesome date! is this the dad guy? or a NEW new guy??

TRS said...

Stacey - that's what I thought. When he called with the suggestion stated in that way - I couldn't believe it!

Auntie - this is the Dad guy. His kids were with their mom.

Hey auntie - at what point did you meet your bf's kiddo?
Mr. Dad wants me to meet them already - but I wonder if it's too soon.

Jinxie said...

I just blogsurfed onto your blog and I have to say that I agree! A friend of mine just got married a week and a half ago, and within a few days he was on Facebook, updating his status and commenting on pictures, while still on his honeymoon! Apparently, he got several comments about it, but we were all thinking "Hey! Go be with your wife!"

Another friend of mine tells a story of when two of her good friends got married and showed up at her house two days later saying "Hey, can we hang out? We're bored!"

Trust me, I could think of a few things they could do. :)

auntie said...

i met my bf's 5-year-old daughter probably about a month or so after we started dating...i can't remember exactly. he and i spent LOTS of time together in those first few weeks so we were very comfortable with each other, and i'd heard him talk about her enough that i was ready to meet her. plus, she's young enough that it wasn't a big deal to her that dad had a new "friend" - to her, i'm just someone else to color with!

a guy i used to date (i think i've mentioned MY Mr. Burns!) wanted me to meet his kids on our second date, and since i'd never met anyone's kids before, i really didn't know what to think about it. his were teenagers, and really very cool kids that were rooting for their dad to meet someone, so i didn't get any weird attitude from them or anything, thank God! but i can say that i don't think it would have gone that well with most teenagers; guess i just lucked out on that one.

i can't remember how old you said Mr. Dad's kids are - i'm thinking they're younger? - and whether or not he's dated much since he got divorced. if you're the first woman they're meeting, i'd wait a little longer just to make sure he's talked to them about it a lot and they've heard him say good things about you, you've heard him tell little stories about them, all that good stuff. plus, you've only gone out 3 or 4 times, right? even though things have been wonderful so far, it's still really early in the game. i'm sure he wants you to meet them because he loves them and thinks you're great and is sure you'd all get along, but of course we know that isn't how it always goes!

and then i'd recommend joining them in something low-key that they're already doing - maybe watching a movie or something - so you can see how they interact with each other and their dad, but it doesn't require you to be "on" the whole time!

and bottom line: if you don't feel ready, then just be honest with him about it. you'll know when it feels right :)

Heidi said...

It's so nice to know that women of other faiths have the same struggles being single that I do! I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. :) Keep up the inspiration!

Melain said...

WOW! That's so Doris Day! I miss the era when romance was honorable. What a sensation weekend! You described it beautifully.

background