Thursday, June 17, 2010

Just One Day Older

Hi Bloggy friends!

I'm writing this at the very end of my 40th birthday.
For all the dread... it was pretty great.
I had the entire day off. Slept in. Got a half hour massage. A nap. A pedicure. Spent a great deal of time working to make my hair pretty. It worked.

Then I met my girlfriends for dinner. Such a great group of women...friends gleaned from different areas of my life... all meld together into a pretty cohesive group.
And all with something obviously up their collective sleeves. I could sense it!

About a week ago I started to suspect that Kikr was going to fly in from San Francisco to surprise me. I didn't let on to anyone planning my birthday dinner... because I didn't want to ruin the fun of the surprise.
I knew I wouldn't be disappointed if she didn't make it... but SO very excited if she did.

See, a couple months ago Kikr had asked for the email addresses of my closest friends in Denver. I complied. She's pretty sneaky, but the only way to get that info was to just ask me for it!

Later, in phone conversations she mentioned the last names of some friends I was talking about, that she has not met. So I knew she was in cahoots.

When I was in the depths of grieving my 40th birthday (remember that? Glad I got through that early.) and bemoaning the fact that I wasn't going to get my wish of having all my girlfriends who are scattered throughout the country, together on my birthday - one of my Denver friends assured me that my birthday was going to be great. She gave me that knowing look.

So finally, last week I guessed that Kikr was going to fly in!
A few more conversations with her and it was clear she wasn't.
But of course I tucked that in the back of my mind and thought... "Well, that's the story for now. We'll see what happens."

Tonight, there was dinner... drinks... beautiful wonderful friends. And gifts! Oh... at this age that is awkward. I don't expect gifts, but I sure do love them.

My girls had ideas about the order the gifts should be opened. So funny.
There was lovely bath wash, a fantastic necklace that you all will have to pry off of me when I'm dead... gift cards, Bacon flavored Chocolate (because bacon is nature's candy) and then the gift that was saved for last.
This lovely box. A treasure chest.
The moment I saw it, I knew Kikr was behind it. I cried before I even opened the box!

Inside, she had had my Denver friends collect and print out little notes describing 40 things that everyone loves about me.

Would it be too indulgent to share? Yes? Oh well.
"Her welcoming and innocent smile."
"Her honest, friendly opinion when you need it."
"How she writes emails just like she talks."
"She is a kind soul."
"Dependable in times of crisis."
"A true friend."
"Her 'Fashion Intervention' emails."
"When she finds something funny, she laughs with all her soul and things "get loud"."
And so on.
Each sentiment had the name of the person who shared it on the back. I shall treasure it always.

I am so very blessed.
It is a wonder to think that I might actually deserve these amazing people in my life.
God's blessings outweigh all of the good we try to put into the world.
So very blessed!

I also got a sweet text from McTwitchy (I know!) and a card in the mail from Mr. Burns!

10 comments:

Liz said...

Happy Birthday!
Glad you had such a special night. Your friends sound fabulous - you're very lucky.

x

Anonymous said...

Hi, Me again...Your note was cut short, but it ended 'Please don'
So I came over here and saw you had to delete my post :) Sorry! I think I figured it out, lol. I totally understand!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday! So glad that you had a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday TRS glad you had a great day, love the gift idea that was awesome. Cherish the moments

Keli said...

I miss laughing out loud with you! You have the best laugh! Happy Birthday again!

Jenni said...

sounds like a great day! happy birthday!!

Jinxie said...

I'm so glad you had a great day! The happiest of birthdays to you!

Genevra said...

Happy birthday!!! What a lovely idea and very thoughtful gift to get. :)

Liza said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Bacon flavored chocolate?! Whoa! Is that good?? Sounds like it could be totally gross or completely amazing. Glad you had such a wonderful birthday! 40 is the new 30!

Stacey said...

Sorry I'm so late, but so glad you had a wonderful birthday! Yay for great friends!!

background